Strengthening Student Leadership: Diverse Approach for Training & Support
In “Strengthening Student Leadership: Diverse Approach for Training & Support” we delve into various approaches to nurture and support student representatives in universities!
A diverse and experienced panel shared their wealth of knowledge. Here is what you can expect from them based on their areas of expertise:
Nikita Patel brings firsthand experience as a Student Rep, providing insights into:
- The challenges and rewards of being a Student Rep.
- How training and support enabled her to navigate the Academic Representation Structure.
- Effective strategies for planning campaigns and creating positive change in collaboration with universities.
Nikita, an Elected Officer and a staff member in the SU, continues to train and support Reps, drawing from her extensive experience.
Simon Varwell from sparqs shares his extensive experience in training over 3,000 course reps across Scotland, focusing on:
- Peer-led models of student training.
- Creating materials catering to diverse learning styles.
- Supporting trainers and staff in developing strategic approaches to course rep systems.
Simon’s expertise in developing partnership-based approaches is instrumental in creating impactful student leadership programs.
Jeffrey Saddington, a Representation and Democracy Manager, offers hands-on experience in:
- Delivering training programs to 2,000 student leaders with a small staff team.
- Developing and implementing “Masterclass” programs and “The Leadership Journey” to enhance leadership skills.
- Providing support and training focusing on accountability and recognition to part-time Student Officers.
Jeffrey’s approaches to communication and leadership development are practical and applicable, ensuring reps and officers can be effective and accountable.
What you can expect from this webinar:
- Practical advice and strategies to empower student volunteers, understanding and acknowledging diverse needs.
- Learning how to work together with various stakeholders to elevate student voices and improve learning experiences.
- Discovering tips and strategies for creating and delivering impactful training programs to extensive student networks.
- Gaining insights into encouraging student representatives to explore and undertake additional leadership roles.
Watch the replay now.
Nikita PatelDemocracy and Campaigns Coordinator at Chester SU
Simon VarwellSenior Development Consultant at sparqs
Jeffrey SaddingtonRepresentation and Democracy Manager at Students' Union UCL
Student Voice Manager at the University of Nottingham SU
Democracy and Campaigns Coordinator at Chester SU
Nikita, a Biomedical Sciences graduate from the University of Central Lancashire, served as Vice President Education at UCLan SU for the 2022-2023 term. With a focus on initiatives like Value for Money and Employability, Nikita is especially passionate about Disabled Students Support. Hailing from a BAME background and living with a disability, Nikita has been instrumental in creating an inclusive community through events like "DisabiliTea and Cake" and policy advocacy. Now at the end of their term, Nikita is committed to empowering students in their current role.
Senior Development Consultant at sparqs
Simon leads institutional support and staff development activity at sparqs, Scotland's national agency for student engagement. He has worked at sparqs for 16 years and has wide experience in developing student engagement and partnership activity across Scotland and internationally. He is a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and has a postgraduate Masters degree in Student Engagement.
Representation and Democracy Manager at Students' Union UCL
Jeffrey is the Representation and Democracy Manager at Students' Union UCL, where he plays a pivotal role in overseeing the annual Leadership Race that attracts 10,000 student voters. In addition, he provides support to a network of nearly 2,000 committed Academic Reps. A recent graduate with a Masters in Student Engagement from the University of Winchester, Jeffrey has shared his dissertation findings at multiple conferences. Further amplifying his impact, he is an External Trustee for the Students' Union at St George's University, a specialized Health University in South London.
Sign up to stay updated
Have the latest updates about upcoming webinars sent directly to your inbox.